Try this innovative recipe from coffee barista champion and Zealong tea fan Sam Low!
A coffee professional with a passion for Chinese gastronomy and tea, Sam runs a contemporary pop up restaurant that uses Zealong tea as part of his showcase.
Visit his Instagram here _sam_low_
Ingredients you will need
● 500g peeled raw prawns
● 1 tsp salt
● 1 tsp sugar
● 30g egg whites
● 2 tbsp corn flour
● 5g Zealong Pure Oolong
● 100ml cooking oil
● 1 tbsp Shaoxing or any aromatic rice wine
● aged black vinegar to serve (optional)
- Steep the tea in 80g boiling water and let it sit in the bowl. Better if done overnight or an hour before.
- Remove the shells and veins from the prawns if using whole prawns, rinse and paper towel dry them. Place into a bowl and mix it well with the salt, sugar, egg whites and cornflour until combined well and almost foamy in consistency.
- Pour 2 tsp oil onto the prawns in the batter and mix to separate them from sticking together.
- Pour the rest of the oil in a non-stick pan or wok on medium heat. When the temperature is roughly 150°C fry the prawns until they reach a light golden colour, roughly 1 min each side.
- Remove the prawns and pour out the oil saving 1 tbsp in the pan/wok. The oil can be reused for future cooking. Throw in the rice wine, oolong leaves, tea and reduce the liquid to half on high heat. Throw the prawns back in and add some salt if need be. Stir in the cornflour and water mix and cook till thick or dry.
- Serve with a side of aged black vinegar to use as a dip (optional).