Did you know that Zealong’s Origins collection teas are made from 100% certified organic, New Zealand grown teas? The top three leaves of each stem is harvested to ensure the best quality and the highest antioxidant density. Its where all the good and healthy stuff is! Don’t let your tea leaves go to waste. Keep your favourite tea leaves after each brew to use as a gourmet garnish later on. Re-roasting the leaves brings out the aroma and the crispiness adds a wonderful texture to your meal.
This recipe is about up-cycling brewed tea leaves, which is a specialty in Japan! Its a very simple, yet delicious recipe.
Ingredients you will need
• Zealong tea (Green, Oolong, or Black are best)
• Olive oil
• Salt to taste
1. Brew your tea leaves as normal, put leaves aside after use*
4. Cover a tray with baking paper and lay a handful of used tea leaves on top.
5. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt.
6. Grill in the oven for 5 minutes on a medium heat – check to see when it’s crispy enough. Freshly brewed tea leaf will take longer to reduce moisture content.
7. Garnish over rice or your favourite dish.
*Tea Leaves must be used the same day that they have been brewed.